I don’t think I’ve written an update on our budget DIY kitchen remodel in a while. Here’s what we’ve been up to these last couple months.
February: I started refinishing the cabinets and tearing out cabinets to make room for the range hood
March: Purchased and installed range hood
April: Spent this month tearing up the many floor layers
May: Popcorn ceiling removed, countertop installed, laminate flooring installed
Unfortunately, I have a crappy tradition of getting sick at the start of summer. Being sick and recovering knocked the motivation out of me for about five weeks. During this time I didn’t do jack on the house, but now we’re back at it.
July: Installed the cabinet pulls and reattached most of the doors to the frames.
Here’s a snapshot I took today:
- Paint the interior of the ceiling lighting recess (Dad and Jim installed two LED can lights into here, they’re awesome)
- Hide the cord from the range hood
- Hide the range hood’s duct
- Install wall shelving to the left of the range hood
- Tile a backsplash around the kitchen
By spreading the work out over a long period of time we’re preserving our sanity (kitchen has experienced nearly 100% uptime through all this work) and putting months between major expenses. I don’t know how people spend 50-100 grand on a kitchen. Those fortunate people live in a different world than I do.