Our new range hood vent is smaller than the hole used by our old microwave’s exhaust duct. Here’s the problem: a 5” wide x 2” deep gap adjacent to the range hood’s ventilation duct.
Here’s what didn’t work
Bad Idea #1): Curved piece for curved hole
I wish I’d thought to try this before I cut the darn piece out: the anchor wood won’t fit into the hole with enough space for my fingers to hold it down while I drill it into place.
Solution: I made the hole bigger (and rectangular).
Anyway, I was trucking along with this bigger/more rectangular hole. I even found a thicker “anchor strip” of wood (if there’s a technical term for this, I don’t know it) to use.
And that’s about when Bad Idea #2 revealed itself: The new patch piece? Yeah, it’s 1/4” thicker than the ceiling’s drywall. There’s no way to “gloss over” this – I need to find thinner drywall, and cut another freaking piece (~20 minutes of cutting and shaving).
I can’t believe it didn’t occur to me that the piece I was making was hella thick:
Anyway, I found a thinner scrap and cut another piece. This time, it was the right thickness, the right shape, and I was able to anchor it to my “anchor wood”.
Sweet! I began smoothing everything over with a few layers of spackle. Texture and painting will come later, once this has dried.
Something that isn’t obvious from these photos is the absolutely awkward angle I was working at. The range hood is large, and the ceiling is low once I’m on the ladder, so I did most of this work bent at the waist with my head pressed against the ceiling, sideways, while standing on a stepladder. Glad this one’s done!